img

[Thread] What are some examples of human craftsmanship that you appreciate?

I was at a fairly high end tailor today, and the sheer beauty in the art of crafting a perfect fitting suit is unparalleled. When I see a true master make the right knots and use chalk to measure on fabric, the beauty of peak human skill emanates from each motion. It made me realise that we might be doing something extremely interesting in our day jobs but it is extremely hard to showcase true human mastery in it. Suddenly, it dawns on you that although white collar jobs are paid well commensurate to the value they create, we seldom obtain skills that exhibit a similar level of craftsmanship. There is indeed true beauty in the creation of the perfect suit. Somehow, it is a reminder for us all that builders are the ultimate value creators. Enablers ensure value enrichment but you can’t enrich something until the genesis of value. And it is the death of human ingenuity if we become glorified file movers. Why are some examples of human craft that makes you awestruck? What are your thoughts on this post? Would love to hear you all out.

img

Mimieux

Flipkart

a year ago

img

salt

Gojek

a year ago

img

Mimieux

Flipkart

a year ago

See more comments
img

itzprobablyme

Google

a year ago

img

salt

Gojek

a year ago

img

salt

Gojek

a year ago

img

SupportStaff

Others

a year ago

img

salt

Gojek

a year ago

img

SupportStaff

Others

a year ago

See more comments
Sign in to a Grapevine account for the full experience.

Discover More

Curated from across

img

Indian Startups on

by AlphaGrindset

Series A Startup

The beauty of 'closing the loop'

Just sharing a random thought that I feel is very important, would love to get your thoughts on it as well. I've been in startups for ~5 years now, and my big realization is that the best people know when to go all-in into an idea and close the loop: in terms of making sure resources are put behind the project, founders' approval exists, and people are championed behind it's execution It's super easy to come up with 3-4 ideas every month, share it, move on to the next ones. Most commonly, some execution also happens, but then people eventually lose interest... they are too stuck on being an idea generator, and often times there is a missing culture of seeing things to fruition. But the joy of having thought of something, seeing it succeed/fail, get to a logical conclusion is unparalleled. It's the most beautiful way to learn how 0 to 1 actually works, and makes sure you learn to execute, not just think. The happiness lies in seeing the early signs of success, and then some mid-stage and late-stage signs of success. This culture within early team members makes a startup successful. It makes you successful, if you're the person behind it. So to everyone who's still early within startups (especially early stage), try to close the loop on those ideas you find to be wonderful. You'll never again have to think about what to write on your CV or what to say in an interview. TLDR: Execute your ideas with as much excitement as you had when you first thought of them, don't lose track. From other operators, would love to get your thoughts on this. What have you seen? Do you feel differently?

img

Software Engineers on

by PushyCourt

Others

Constructive feedback for Indian SDEs to go beyond average!

My last post (share.gvine.app/W6sQvon7d7H2qau89) saw a lot of opinions & criticism from many members in the community. For anyone who is offended by any of my comments, I truly apologize. Given the fact that some folks asked for constructive pointers, I decided to pen this down. These are just a set of points that I think would benefit some of you (not all!) in the long run: - Speak at conferences & meet-up — We have definitely seen a boom of them in India. A lot of folks continue to miss out on them for various reasons. If you are working on some exciting stuff, go ahead and submit a proposal for an upcoming meetup. Trust me, this is definitely something that you can use to actually build your personal brand. - Build some projects: Last month, I had to start taking interviews for the India team. I noticed the lack of projects, with many mentioning what they built during their college/interview assignments. Many complain that most of their work is proprietary, but it won't be bad to do a weekend hack around something they are passionate about. - Contribute to open-source: For some folks, this might sound almost cliche! Anyone who gets to contribute to any noticeable project today, will open a box of opportunities. I have known dozens of devs by now, who started contributing (out of passion?) and went ahead to work on impactful projects (while making good money!). - Seek interesting problems: A lot of devs I have interacted with have not sought companies, but problems! One of our competitors saw their investor join them as a part-time engineer (yes, he loves to code!). Builders always have this mindset to build — Luckily we have so many programs today that inculcate this. There are plenty of more ideas! The utmost emphasis for any SDE would be to become a Professional (with a capital P), become a craftsperson and take pride in your work! If you can't show anything substantial, your entire career building would be non-serious with sole purpose of money-making!

img

Office Gossip on

by LawfulPray11

PayPal

It's okay to be normal and ordinary

Disclaimer: I have nothing against high earners in this group who are doing exceptionally well and earning big bucks at young age. You have my admiration. Target audience of this post: Everyone else who is doing okay in their job, earning an average salary for their age. Why have I posted it?: To not feel I am the only one who is a normal regular person doing just average in his life in this hyper competitive rat race. My thoughts: I clearly remember the moment, it was April 2007, I had barely completed the board exams of class 10th and joined class 11th. It was my first week into class 11th when a fine looking gentleman walked into our class to make us think of our future career path. He was from a coaching institute for IIT JEE and AIEEE. He told us about all the high salary packages at these premier institutes. I excitedly told my parents about it. Like any middle class parents, they dreamt of their son cracking the exam and securing good placements from IITs/NITs. They enrolled me in coaching. I worked hard for those 2 years, 11th and 12th. But what was harder was the constant stress and pressure I was put in, both intentionally and unintentionally. These ideas that 'I must crack JEE to have a good future', 'if you don't get through JEE then you are a waste' etc, were hammered into my mind day in and day out. I didn't crack JEE but got into a well reputed private engineering college of India.. Fast forward 4 years, did my MBA from tier 2 college only to join a service company at salary that would be considered too low for most of the folks here who compare salary like a plague. Recently joined a product company with good jump. Realised all that pressure I was put under in high school wasn't necessary. I am doing ok in life. I think it's okay to be earning an average salary, everyone of us is on his own journey of growth and comparing ourselves on basis of packages seems myopic Too much gyaan? Getting a perspective on late Saturday night!!!