img

[Thread] When did you experience your first failure?

Stages of Life: 1. You’re at School and Grades are everything. 2. You get to college and your GPA is everything. 3. You get to your first job and your pay is everything. 4. You get to the end of the year and Performance Review is everything. So, essentially at every moment in your life, you’re judged by a number. My heart goes out to all those who failed at being better at this. But, I really cry for my brethren who succeeded at this hustle, for the person you’ve become. Drop your experiences down below. I’m just in a very mellow mood after work, contemplating about life’s weird quirks.

img

macos

Apple

a year ago

img

salt

Gojek

a year ago

img

Elon_Musk

X.com

a year ago

See more comments
img

Sunday

PayU

a year ago

img

JoblessGuy

Student

a year ago

img

MicahBell

Startup

a year ago

img

MildMusic68

Stealth

a year ago

img

ThanosIsRight

Meesho

a year ago

Sign in to a Grapevine account for the full experience.

Discover More

Curated from across

img

Layoffs on

by Job_hunter_sde

Unemployed

Laid Off | Stuck Now | Too Anxious | Please guide

Hi folks, I recently got laid off from a startup where 50% of the engineering team was let go. I was working as an SDE and during a restructuring, my role was changed to SDE-2 without any increase in pay or responsibilities. I have a total of 2.5 years of experience. In my first company (where I worked for a year), there weren't many projects, so I didn't have the opportunity to learn or code much. However, in my second company, I primarily worked on the backend using Go, Django, Kafka, MongoDB, & PostgreSQL. I realize that although I gained exposure in my second job, I didn't delve deeply into the technologies. I mainly focused on completing business tasks quickly, learning new things just to finish the task at hand, without solidifying my understanding afterward. My experience seems suitable for an SDE-2 role, but I'm unsure if I can perform the role with complete honesty and may struggle. Some friends in similar situations reassure me that this struggle is common in SDE-2 roles. However, I feel I might be better off starting again as an SDE-1, focusing on my weak areas, and aiming for a promotion later. There are very few SDE-1 job openings currently. I am actively interviewing for SDE-2, and not able to clear system design interviews. Tbh, I feel very humiliated as when I am not able to answer their questions it feels like I am wasting their time or they would be thinking: Oh this guy has been working for so long and doesn't even know anything. Now I get it why people think Indian Software engineers are not that good in comparison to other countries' devs: the reason is people like me. This realization burdens me with guilt, occupying my thoughts constantly. However, I am confident that I can crack SDE-1 easily. I have good DSA & good enough LLD, &HLD skills for SDE1. I am looking for companies who can match my prev Salary: 22 L, 2 Bonus. Can u help how to navigate this career situation effectively without increasing my guilt or feeling constantly humiliated?